Assisting Organizations in Enhancing Their Effectiveness and Economies of Scale
During these times of economic crisis, an increasing number of agencies are considering mergers and acquisitions as a strategy for survival. While such a tactic may be the most effective, there are a number of issues to consider including strategic fit, market research, risk/reward analysis, organizational culture fit, and planful integration. There are also other collaborative models that organizations may want to consider in light of their unique situation. OPEN MINDS provides technical assistance to agencies in the exploration and implementation of mergers, acquisitions or other collaborative ventures.
Let us help your organization explore the options that will assure its optimal future success. Our technical assistance services will assist you through the key phases necessary to explore mergers, acquisitions, and collaborative ventures.
Phase I: Develop M&A Strategy and Assessing Potential M&A Candidate Organization
Step 1. Assess Organizational Strategy & Develop Model With Best Strategic Fit Of Collaborations
- Explore why the agency is considering merger, acquisition or other collaborative models. Discuss and review all models, and select most appropriate for the organization.
- Discuss and quantify what they hope to achieve from the selected model.
- Decide whether the selected model fits within the organization’s strategic plan and whether it is the most effective strategy for their organization.
- Discuss and quantify the proposed organizational structure and role of agencies and executives desired.
- Develop detailed process, with timeframes, for implementing the selected strategy
- Deliverable = a report making the case for the selected strategy and the process for implementation for presentation to Board and other selected stakeholders.
Step 2 – Identification Of Potential M&A Partners
- Develop detailed description of proposed organization – structure, roles of agencies, operational plans, strategic plans, timeframe, USP, etc.
- Deliverable = a prospectus for distribution to potential partners
- Identify and prioritize potential partners, including decision making framework for selecting the potential partners to proceed with
- Facilitate introductions and discussions with potential partners
- Facilitate selection of partner(s)
- Facilitate invitation to potential partner(s) and plan to proceed to next steps
- Deliverables = (a) List of partner(s) with whom agency will proceed, (b) detailed due diligence plan with timeframes and assignments and (c) initial integration plan
Step 3 – Due Diligence Of Selected Potential M&A Partners
- Facilitate due diligence process
- Deliverable = due diligence report and recommendation for acceptance or non-acceptance of merger partner(s)
- Finalize integration plan with timeframes and assignments
- Deliverable = detailed integration plan
- Facilitate implementation of integration plans including regular and consistent progress updating, problem solving, plan revisions, and future steps
Phase II: Implementing the Merger or Acquisition
Step 1 – Analysis of Market Positioning and Service Line Offering of Merged Organizations
Step 2 – Develop Organizational Strategy of Combined Organization
- Operational analysis and optimizing economies of scale in the combined organizations
- Organizational structure and executive leadership team building