Chief Executive Officer and Senior Associate
- Office: Gettysburg
- (F) 717-334-0538
Monica E. Oss, M.S., Chief Executive Officer and Senior Associate, is the founder of OPEN MINDS. For the past two decades, Ms. Oss has led the OPEN MINDS team and its research on health and human service market trends and its national consulting practice. Ms. Oss is well known for her numerous books and articles focused on the strategic and marketing implications of the evolving health and human service field. She has unique expertise in payer financing models, provider rate setting, and service pricing. She has led numerous engagements with state Medicaid plans, county governments, private insurers, managed care programs, service provider organizations, technology vendors, neurotechnology and pharmaceutical organizations, and investment banking firms – with a focus on the implications of financing changes on delivery system design.
Prior to founding OPEN MINDS, Ms. Oss served as an executive with a national managed behavioral health organization, with responsibility for market development and for actuarial analysis and capitation-based rate setting. She also held a position as a vice president of the U.S. risk management and underwriting division of an international insurance company.
Ms. Oss has been the keynote speaker at the conferences of dozens of national associations and has been published in a wide range of professional journals and trade publications. She has provided Congressional and state legislative testimony on issues as diverse as the financial impact of parity and payer medication access policies.
Ms. Oss has led a range of industry research and management consultation initiatives, serving as principal investigator on research projects that include (but are certainly not limited to) examination of national managed behavioral health enrollment patterns; development of provider rate structures for government entities; creation of a return-on-investment analysis model for technology investments; design of performance-based compensation models for service providers and managed care entities within public and private health plans; and analysis of the economic impact to health systems and health plans of changes in benefit design, adoption of evidence-based practices, and new technologies. Ms. Oss is a graduate of the University of Minnesota. She serves on the advisory boards of the Shippensburg University Health & Human Service Management Program and the Institute for Behavioral Health Informatics.
- Areas of Expertise
- Strategic planning and industry trend analysis for provider organizations and delivery systems
- Market strategy, positioning, and branding
- Economic analysis, cost/benefit analysis, actuarial estimation, pricing, rate setting, and return-on-investment analysis
- System performance measurement and metrics-based management
- Professional Highlights
- Founder and Chief Executive Officer of OPEN MINDS
- Executive editor of OPEN MINDS Circle and its industry market intelligence publications
- Previously held executive positions in the health insurance and managed care fields
- Featured speaker, and author of numerous books and articles, on industry trends and organizational strategy in health and human services